Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Our World, Our Numbers -Topic 2: Landmarks

Our global project 'Our World, Our Numbers' got off to a great start last week with lots of conversations about currency.

The latest topic is landmarks and monuments,
 along with their statistics.

In B4 we made a list of New Zealand landmarks 
that we knew of. 

Jordan suggested the Sky Tower in Auckland (our tallest tower at 328 metres / 1,076 feet).
Jia Xuan suggested Mt Cook (our tallest mountain at 3,754 metres / 12,316 feet).

In our region we have the Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki.
Pancake Rocks, Punakaiki
By Christian Michel [CC-BY-2.0], By Christian Michel [CC-BY-2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

These rocks began forming 30,000,000 years ago!

Can you see how the Pancake Rocks got their name?
Have you ever visited the Pancake Rocks?
What other New Zealand landmarks would you add 
to the list?

4 comments:

  1. Dear B4,

    Thats a beautiful picture! I have no idea why that is called the pancake rocks. Maybe because it looks like a pancake or it looks like a stack of pancakes. Yes I have taken a vacation, I went to New York and saw the Statue of Liberty, but it was too stormy to go on a boat. So we got as close as we could! Have you been to any other landmarks?

    From,
    Olivia
    Techie Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear B4,

    I didn't really know anything about New Zealand's landmarks. Thank you for sharing! I have an interesting story about how the Statue of Liberty came to be in America. When we won our independence from Great Britian, the French wanted to congratulate us with a gift of friendship. They built the Statue of Liberty took it apart, and sent it over to America on boats. When we got it, we built a small island and reassmbled the statue on it. It still stands today and visitors are welcome to go up to the crown. I know because I went there and learned all of this about the Statue of Liberty. I though this was interesting and I thought you might want to know.

    Sincerely,
    Arianna
    Techie Kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear B4
    Mt. Cook is my favourite place. When I go back to the Mt. I will send a postcard when I come back to Reefton.

    from Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Yes I have been to the Pancake rocks. Have you seen some dolphins there just coming to breathe and eat?

    Byron Room 11

    ReplyDelete