Sunday, August 19, 2018

Our River Walk - Looking at Fish Habitats

As part of our science work on Fish, we walked to our river to think about fish habitats.
In our river we have trout and eels.
We also wanted to see how people may have changed the river and possibly affected the fish habitats.



Would some fish like the shallow, swift parts of the river?


We checked out a stream that flows into the river




Would some fish like the deep, shadowy parts of the river?


Fifty years ago, this part of the river was a deep swimming hole. 
Now it has filled with silt and stones.
Would the fish swim here?


Could landslides affect the fish in the river?



Sometimes the river floods over this paddock.
Would fish swim here?

'

This bank has been shaped and replanted.
Could this affect the fish?




Would fish like to hide among these boulders?







Did you spot any fish while you were on the swing bridge?

If you were an eel, what part of the river would you live in?

8 comments:

  1. Dear B4
    When we went for a river wake I had fun. Did you? I know I did. If I was a fish,I would like to live in the deep end.

    warm wishes
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear B4.
    If I was an eel I would live in the deep end.
    I saw an eel under the bridge.
    People have dug and changed the river.
    On the bridge it was yuck because there was dog poo.

    Warm wishes Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear b4
    No I did not see some fish.

    There was dog poo on the bridge.
    I saw heaps of ropes on the swing bridge.

    From Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear B4
    When we went on the swing bridge I was scared because I am afraid of heights (the reason I am afraid of heights is because when I look down I feel like I'm going to fall). It was a fun walk, I hope you liked it.
    From Latesha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear B4
    We went on a river. We didn't see any fish. We went on the swing bridge. I wanted to jump off it.

    by Conrad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear B4
    B4 went to the river.

    by Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear b4
    It wasn't fun watching Mrs W cutting the fish but yeah, I liked it. It would be more fun going for our walk. It was sunny. It was quite fun but not that fun.

    by Ania-Mei

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear B4
    It seems so long since we left a comment! We are actually doing a massive unit of work on Rivers here in Taranaki at the moment, studying all the animals that live in our rivers, including Eels and Fish. Our teacher Mr Webb has a river outside his house - and he has eels that live in the River that he feeds! We could send you a video of that if you like and if there's anything that we could help with please let us know.
    Mr Webb and Room Six, Auroa Primary School, Taranaki.
    mrwebbauroa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete