Friday, May 27, 2011

A Close Call and a Sensible Girl!

This little 5 year-old girl from our class 
woke at 4.45am this morning 
and smelled smoke. 
She woke her parents. 
They found that her stuffed toy cat had fallen between the bed and the wall, onto the night light.
It was starting to smoulder.

Listen to what happened:
Untitled from Judy McKenzie on Vimeo.

We are very proud to have such a sensible girl in our class!
Can you suggest some safety rules for using night lights and other appliances in bedrooms?


  1. Dear B4.

    If I have a night light I wold keep it away from my toy's and my bed

    By Ganda.

  2. i dont have a night light that goes where i sleep but,there is one outside my room in the hall

  3. Dear B4,

    What a sensible girl, indeed! I was glad to hear how she woke up her dad and convinced him that something was wrong! She is super smart!

    It is important to always keep appliances free and clear. They give off heat that must be released.

    Another good tip is to have parents fix electrical cords that are starting to fray!

    Sometimes I hear about little electric space-heaters that families have in their homes that have been placed too close to the bed or other furniture. Sometimes people fall asleep and the heater ignites the furniture! We must always be careful!

    Have a terrific day!

    Your friend,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

  4. Dear Mrs.Yollis
    I know Nikki is so smart.If there was a fire I could of saw it.I am so sorry about Pud.I just live around the block from her.
    your blogging buddy Paige in b4.

  5. My goodness that was a close call.
    Lucky she is such a smart girl!

  6. Dear B4 I have a new house and we bot a bot

  7. Accidents happen! It is really great that the little girl had such a good awareness of what to do. I think all children should also know how to call the emergency number. If something happens to the person doing the child care, they then know what to do. Health and Safety tends to irritate people, but if we think a little further, it's nice to avoid accidents!
    A brilliant response and well done dad, first thing in the morning!

    Take care
    Mr E

  8. Wow Nikki your a brave wee girl. Just as well you went and woke Mum and Dad up that sure was a smart thing to do. We are so proud of you. Miss you. Love you Lots.
    Andrew,Tania,Josh and Laura xxxx