Sunday, August 14, 2011

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a


What a big name for a cute little fish!

Our California friend Mrs Yollis sent us this postcard when she was on holiday in Hawaii.
You can read all about her snorkeling adventures 
here and here.

This big, long name reminded me that there is a hill in New Zealand that has one of the longest place names in the world.
The name is
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapiki-maungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Click here 
to read the story behind the name.
Click here
to hear the name being pronounced.


Do you know of a long name to add to our list?

4 comments:

  1. I think this blog is truly magnificent. I love the way that blogs connect people. If you are interested you could see my blog at www.6lbcdkg.global2.vic.edu.au
    Keep up the blogging!
    FireKing8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have this New Zealand hill on the list? It has 105 letters. It is the Māori name for a hill in southern Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand. Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateahaumaitawhitiurehaeaturipuk-
    akapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu
    Love your blog,
    Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear B4,

    I am so happy that you received my postcard from Hawaii! That fish is the state fish of Hawaii and was easy to find while out snorkeling.

    I'm working on one more post from Hawaii, and it is a video about the fish I saw. I'll let you know when it is done and you can see the

    Humu•humu•nuku•nuku•a•pu•a'a swimming!(I broke up the name into chunks so it is easy to say.)

    That New Zealand hill has quite a name! What do people call it for short?

    Your pal,
    Mrs. Y♥llis
    California

    ReplyDelete
  4. to bfs
    i am bec i like you vido off the snow. Did you play in the snow. Did you play on the play grand. did you make a snowmen. i hope we can met on skype
    from bec at haston primy school :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete